Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Movie Review: Catfish








I heard about Catfish a few months ago as it made it's way through a couple of film festivals. It's a movie you probably haven't heard about and probably won't hear about up until the last moment. So before I start my review, I'll let you check out the trailer for the film so you have an idea of what I am talking about.




To me the film looked very intriguing. I immediately had to know what was going on in this film and what the outcome was going to be. I was lucky enough to get to see an advanced screening of this film yesterday and I was highly disappointed with the outcome.

First of all, they marketed this film to be something it isn't. The trailer for this film just goes to show how much impact someone who is great at editing can have on something. As I go back and watch the trailer now, I'm thinking to myself how clever the trailer for this film was, as it is very misleading to the viewer.

The tagline is, "Don't let anyone tell you what it is". And that is the same thing I heard about the film, that the less you know, the better. And now after seeing it, you certainly won't want to know anything about the film or there will be absolutely no reason in watching the film and possibly even losing interest in seeing it. If you go to see this film, you will need to have a lot of patience.

If your like me, reviews mean nothing, I like to experience a film for myself. But if you go see this film, trust me in saying that you will need a lot of patience in watching it. It's a documentary so it's already going to be a slower paced film, but there are long periods of drawn out nothing.

Catfish isn't a bad film. Once I found out what the film was really about and got to the part where you figure out the big mystery, it's actually a very creepy and alarming film. I can't get to much into it, because then their would be no point in watching it, but it makes you think about some things. The main guy in the film, Nev is very likable and has a couple of funny parts on screen. I think the lack of characters hurt the film as well though. You pretty much just watch Nev the whole time so after a while it becomes tiring.

I was overall disappointed with Catfish. It was good for what it was, but it is marketed to be something it's not and the two hours isn't worth the payoff in the end. I give it a four out of ten.

1 comment:

  1. Catfish not showing in your local theater? Now you can demand the most exciting film of the year "Catfish" to your theater, using the DEMAND IT app on the IAMROGUE.com Catfish page! http://bit.ly/9V2vk1

    ReplyDelete