Monday, January 24, 2011

A New Year, Hopefully Better Quality

It's been four months since my last post. Did I get lazy and just stop writing, no. I just got sick of writing reviews to bad movies and writing movie news that consists of sequels and remakes. So it's a new year, with new opportunities and I am starting to feel that tug to write again.

Let's talk about the end of 2010 for a second. Normally the holidays will release some films worth talking about. Really only two films stick out in my mind since September, The Fighter and True Grit.

The Fighter was surprisingly great. Mark Wahlberg is capable of making good movies, the problem is that it doesn't happen often. I saw this as an eye roll film. I think Christian Bale will go home with an Oscar for his supporting role, he stole the show.

True Grit seems to be getting overlooked. The Golden Globes was two weeks ago and Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp were both nominated for.......The Tourist????? How does that happen and yet this gets overlooked?

Here is where my enthusiasm for film has begun to slide. The Golden Globes are the second biggest awards ceremony next to the Academy Awards. So why was Alice In Wonderland, Red, The Tourist, Burlesque all nominations? There were also loads of questionable performance nominations like Depp who was nominated for both Alice in Wonderland along with The Tourist. I get it was for a comedy or musical, but he had no business getting nominated for either.

2010 was in my opinion one of the worst years for film I've seen in a while. I'm not going to do a Best and Worst of 2010 sequence, but I will name SOME of the worst and best of the year.

WORST
Jonah Hex
Grown Ups
The Last Airbender
Killers
When In Rome
Sex and the City 2
Valentine's Day
Paranormal Activity 2
Furry Vengeance

I would like to say something about Furry Vengeance really quick. When it comes to bad movies, I really don't think kid films should count that much. Sure, there can be good ones, but studios want to cash in on the kids and don't take the parents agony for account. So I will leave Marmaduke, Yogi Bear, They Spy Next Door and the Tooth Fairy alone. This movie is the exception. Everyone tied to this film should be ashamed.

Best
Inception
The Fighter
The Town
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
127 Hours
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

So now that 2010 is over, what is there to look forward to? I think a lot. I think that summer films have got in the habit of having big titles with little delivery, but the next two summers will have tons of great films with hopefully a bunch of gems sprinkled in between, but we'll start with this year first.

We have already seen some disappointments with Country Strong, Season of the Witch, The Green Hornet and the Dilemma, so were not off to a great start but I believe it can bounce back.

My Watch List for 2011
Sanctum
Apollo 18
Rango
Source Code
Battle: Los Angeles
Paul
Super
Scream 4
Thor
The Hangover 2
Super 8
Larry Crowne
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part 2
Captain America: The First Avenger
Cowboys and Aliens
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I'm sure there will be more once the year gets further along, but there is some serious potential this year. And some of these listed will turn out to be huge disappointments, that's inevitable, but we'll see what the year brings us.

No comments:

Post a Comment