Friday, January 8, 2010

HEADLINES

The new year has started off slow as far as movie news goes, but today there are a lot of interesting stories, so hopefully good movie news will keep pouring in.



3D TWISTER SEQUEL?
Bill Paxton has pitched a sequel idea to producer Kathleen Kennedy about doing a sequel to the 1996 hit Twister. Not only that he wants the film to be done in 3D.

I'm a fan of the original film and on one side I really don't think we need a sequel to Twister. On the other hand I wouldn't be opposed to it. I mean it could be cool, you know flying cows in 3D, c'mon.




SPIDER-MAN 4 DELAYED
Spider-Man 4 has officially been put on halt. They are still working on the third rewrite of the script and Pirates 4 and Thor have came in and scooped up the May 5, 2009 spot. Reports say that the studio is butting heads with Rami about who the villain will be as well. Rami wants The Vulture and the studio wants something else.

Look it is this simple. If you can't get a script together and if you can't agree on what direction to take the film, don't do the film!!! Either shelve it for a little while and stop talking about it or don't do it. Sam Rami didn't want to do the Venom storyline and the studio made him do it anyway and it turned out to be a piece of crap. Now I'm not thrilled about a Vulture villain, but let the man make his movie or else find a different director and possibly lose the franchise forever. Sony says that it does not need to change the release date for May 5, 2011 but if I was them I would because right now I'm thinking Pirates 4 and Thor will kick it's butt at the rate it's going.

Personally what I would like to see is taking this franchise in a darker direction for this new series of films. Carnage, The Lizard and maybe even giving Venom a second shot would be great ideas I think. Here are some cool fan posters I found online for the fourth film.



AWESOME WRITERS HIRED FOR G.I. JOE 2
Weren't crazy about the first G.I. Joe movie? Hopefully that will change with the sequel. Paramount is looking at nabbing Zombieland writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick. They are currently working on a sequel to Zombieland and Deadpool so this will give them a full plate.

I liked Joe, I know it was a very mixed film but to me it was fun. Adding these guys into the mix will probably bring the quality of the film up another level.



AVATAR IS THE SECOND HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE OF ALL TIME
I hate hearing this phrase used, but it does look like Cameron is "king of the world". He now has the highest and second highest grossing films of all time. I think it is safe to say Cameron can do whatever he wants now.....and I hope it's good.



GHOST RIDER 2 NEWS
Producer Mike De Luca gave a small update on Ghost Rider 2's development. He said that director Mark Steven Johnson is not coming back (good), Eva Mendes is not returning to play Roxanne Simpson (good), The title will most likely be Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (stupid), might be done in 3D, will be like starting over, and David Goyer might direct which would be a plus for it.

What they need to do is kick Nick Cage to the curb because he is horrible.



AVATAR 2 IS A GO
James Cameron briefly announced that a sequel will be done for Avatar. When asked, he simply said "Yes, there'll be another." He said that "some story ideas for how to branch out into the other moons of Polyphemus [the giant planet that Pandora orbits], we gotta make some money with this one before we think about the sequel!"

I'm all for another film. I want to see more of the moons he mentioned. The forest stuff was cool but I hope he gives us something different with the next one.



WOLVERINE 2 GETS A START DATE
Hugh Jackman announced that a sequel to Wolverine will start filming in in 2011. He didn't give much details on the film, just that they were headed to Japan for this one.

They really need to get this one right. I think that Fox is in danger of losing this X-Men franchise. It just blows my mind the stupid decisions that get made over at that studio.



STAR TREK 2 GETS A RELEASE DATE
Paramount revealed that Star Trek 2 will be released June 29, 2012. J.J. and the cast will return but other than that, nothing else is known.






GREEN LANTERN HAS ITS FEMALE LEAD
Blake Lively has been cast as Carol Ferris, Hal Jordan's love interest in Warner Brothers upcoming film Green Lantern.

I don't have a problem with Lively, but I was hoping for more high caliber names since Warner Bros. is trying to launch their DC franchise off the ground. I'm sure she will be fine, I have liked her in the movies I have seen, but I was hoping for a bigger name.

2 comments:

  1. I gotta say, I am a huge fan of the first Twister; I was all about those natural disaster movies when they were really big, and Twister was easily my favorite. That being said, I really don't think we need another one. I don't see how they could possibly improve on the first one, even in 3D. Bill should just stick to his Mormon show and leave this one alone.

    ReplyDelete