Thursday, July 1, 2010

HEADLINES

For it to be the summer, there just hasn't been that much movie news to report. I think this has been one of the worst summers for movies that I can ever remember, so it would be nice to at least get some news to make me look forward to more upcoming films.




HERE IS YOUR NEW SPIDEY

Andrew Garfield has won over the role to be the next Spider-Man. He beat out big names like Josh Hutcherson and Aaron Johnson for the role. He has had no big roles as of yet. The only two things I'm familiar with on his resume are Lions for Lambs and The Imagination of Doctor Parnassus.

I think this is a horrible casting choice. They are taking Peter Parker back to high school with this reboot, and they decide to hire a 27 year old to play the part? Give me a break. Sony has destroyed a franchise that could have gone on for years to come. Now, I know most people aren't idiots, but a lot are. I think a lot of people will be confused when they go in to the theaters and Peter Parker is back in high school. They had a knockout cast minus Kirsten Dunst and I truly believe this is going to be a disaster. If this turns out good and really catches on with fans, I'll do a column apologizing for all the hate I will be pouring onto this movie from now until it's release, but I doubt that is going to happen.








SCREAM 4 GAINS ANOTHER AND LOSES ANOTHER

I have guilty pleasure actors and Adam Brody is certainly one of them. He has signed on to play a rookie police officer in the next Scream installment, while Lauren Graham has left due to artistic differences.

As a Scream fan, I am hopeful for this film. I like the cast they have gathered so far, I'm just a little nervous about the story.




PEE WEE IS BACK

It was reported today that Judd Apatow will be producing a new Pee Wee Herman film. No other details was released other than Pee Wee himself, Paul Rubens, is working on the story.

I loved Pee Wee as a child, but after what all Rubens has gone through over the past twenty years and the drastic change in times, I don't know that a Pee Wee reboot will catch on as well.





EDGAR WRIGHT TALKS ANT MAN

An Ant Man film has been in talks for a while and it seems that it may be finally happening. Wright says that he has finished the first draft and that Marvel seems very happy with it. He says that it will have an Iron Man feel to it. There is a chance that Ant Man may first show up in the Avengers film, and then getting his own big screen film. The long time name attached to play is fan boy favorite, Nathan Fillion.

I think this could be a really cool movie and definitely could be pulled off if it goes the Iron Man route which is mixing action in with a great comedic strip. I also think Fillion would be a great choice and I hope to see him in the Avengers film.





IT REMAKE NEWS FINALLY EMERGES

Two years ago, a feature film remake to Stephen King's "It" was reported to be in the works, but like most of King's projects, it just disappeared. David Kajganich gave some news regarding the project today. No, cast or relase dates were hinted at, but he talked about the challenges of taking such a huge book and downsizing it to a two hour movie and how he got the gig. It was also stated that this is becoming a major project for Warner Bros. and they are eager to get this rolling.

Kaiganich is one of the people responsible for the 2007 film The Invasion, which I though was terrible. As a big King fan, I don't get why his material doesn't get the attention it deserves. Books like Harry Potter and Twilight get two part films so I don't see why a book like It can't get a two part movie deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment