Wednesday, July 7, 2010

NEXT BOND FILM CANNED





With the continuing financial struggles MGM can't seem to shake, it has forced the next Bond film to go from delayed to cancelled. Sam Mendes, who is a brilliant director, was set to come on board and Peter Morgan who wrote The Queen and Frost/Nixon had developed what was described as a "shocking story".

Is this the end of the 007 franchise? Definitely not, but I am afraid that we will never see what this project was shaping up to be. This was on my most anticipated list since the moment I heard Mendes had signed on and once I heard about what a great story they had, it made me even more anxious to see it.

It's sad to think about how most times, when great films are shaping up, something happens that causes them to fall apart. How does that happen and then movies like Code Name: The Cleaner, Paul Blart, and Taxi happen?

I don't know what kind of financial issues MGM is facing, so I can't say much about what I think should happen. But I do know if they can't stay afloat, they need to sell it to someone who can. MGM has been around for years, and was once a very respectable studio, but they need to go out with dignity if this is the case and sell. The Hobbit, the Bond franchise and big budget films like the Red Dawn remake are all suffering for whatever is going on and this problem needs to go away asap. I want my Sam Mendes directed Bond film!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment