Friday, September 25, 2009

FALL TELEVISION REVIEWS PART 1

With summer movie season over, this means crappier movies. This also means great or hopefully great television. So I'm going to go over what I have seen so far and share my thoughts on the new shows and old.



FLASHFORWARD (ABC)
I'll start off with my most anticipated show of the year. With Lost coming to a end this year, I was wondering what would or could take its place. The premiere for this had a lot of similarities with the Lost pilot episode, without coping it.

It takes place in Los Angeles after the entire world blacks out for two minutes and seventeen seconds. While blacked out everyone sees a glimpse of their future six months into the future. Once everyone comes back to consciousness the entire city is in shambles and F.B.I. agent Benford begins trying to make sense of what happened and why. Normally there is always one person out of a cast that I can't stand or under performs, but I have to say that the cast for this show seems to be very good. The ending was awesome and is sure to bring audiences back next week. David S. Goyer who is behind the past two Batman films is a writer for this and I really believe this is going to turn out to be a great show. I give it a five out of five.



MODERN FAMILY (ABC)
Ed O'Neil stars in this comedy about the Pritchett's and their different individual family lives. Ed O'Neil is the father of the family with a much younger Latino wife and her son. His daughter Claire is the mother of her household and is married to the "cool" dad. His son Michell is gay and him and his husband have just adopted a baby girl.

This show had a very funny pilot and has a lot of potential to be a great comedy, if the writers can keep up. The show is shot in documentary style like the office. My complaint on the show is the "cool" dad, played by Ty Burrell. I felt he over did his scenes and his character felt a little forced. My surprise of the show was how funny Cameron, Mitchell's husband was. This show will be great like I said as long as the writers can keep up good storylines for it. I give it a four out of five.



NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)
I have never watched the original NCIS, but I thought Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J, while great actors, could pull this show off. The previews looked pretty good and I knew that NCIS was well liked. The show is about another branch of Navy Crime Investigators who help solve murders, kidnappings, and prevents terrorist attacks.

The writing for this was terrible. It had the stupid "cool guy" dialogue between LL and O'Donnell that I hate watching. It seemed like a show that had been done time and time again and had no originality. The other cast members were all as bad. I think this show will have high ratings at first, but drop off quick. I give it a two out of five.



COUGAR TOWN (ABC)
This comedy from Bill Lawrence, the creator of Scrubs, is about a recently divorced forty year old mother, played by Courtney Cox, who is forced to get back out into the dating world. I like Courtney Cox, but I wasn't expecting much from this show. However, it really surprised me in how funny it was. I has the quirky comedy that Scrubs had to it, but in another way. Things I liked about the show were the supporting actors, especially the neighbor Grayson, who is a mid aged, recently divorced man himself and her son Travis. I did not like her younger best friend Laurie. She was very annoying and not a very good actress. If the writers can keep up and not make every episode about a middle aged woman trying to have sex with younger guys this too will be a good comedy. I give it a four out of five.



FRINGE (FOX)
I want so bad for this show to be good, and it almost is. It has the concept of The X-Files except the cast is not as strong as The X-Files. I gave up on it last season and picked it back up this year and I really think it's the cast. Joshua Jackson should never be the lead in a sci-fi series and the show's lead Anna Torv has never had any acting credits prior to Fringe. Unfortunately, I don't think this show will ever be on the level of The X-Files or Lost, but I might keep watching with hope. I give this a three out of five.



EASTWICK (ABC)
I hadn't planned on watching this, but it came on after Cougar Town so I just decided to watch the first five minutes to see how bad it was going to be. Well it turned out to not be half bad so I watched the whole thing. It's loosely based off the Jack Nicholson film "Witches of Eastwick", and follows the lives of three different women who develop special abilities when a mysterious billionaire moves into town. It is a lot like Desperate Housewives, but with magic. I myself use to watch Hosewives until it just became ridiculous much like Grey's Anatomy became. The cast has a lot of below the radar star besides Rebeca Romijn, but they do a fine job. The show isn't sensational, but it has a good mystery at least to get me back next week. I give it a three and a half out of five.




COMMUNITY (NBC)
I'm a big Joel McHale fan and I was bummed to hear the IT Crowd he was set to star in got scrapped, but was glad him and NBC came together for this show. Joel McHale stars as Jeff Winger, a lawyer who loses his license after he is caught in not having his degree from the U.S. and is forced to go back to community college.

The pilot was funny and I really enjoyed it and the ensemble cast which includes Chevy Chase. However, after watching the second episode I got the feeling that the show might not be able to go anywhere. Now I'm no writer, but it seems like it might be hard to keep a story about a guy going back to community college who is after a girl and starts a study group going for multiple seasons and it staying good. I want this show to do well, but it is on my watch list and I may be judging to quickly since there has only been two episodes. Right now it gets a three out of five.



GLEE (FOX)
Ahh Glee. What can I say about this show? I love it. Yes, I love Glee and I'm not afraid to admit it. If you really break the show down, it's kind of a dark comedy. On one hand you have a show about a high school show choir club. On the other hand you have a high school dramedy dealing with real "high school issues". The cast is great and the musical numbers are hilarious. I do hate one storyline dealing with the glee club directors wife faking a pregnancy. I don't like her or the story line and for that and that reason alone it gets a four and a half out of five.



THE OFFICE (NBC)
The Office seems to be better than last years horrible season. I still love the show, and I still think they should take Michael down a notch but I still love it and am looking forward to seeing where they take it this season. Last year it was like a two and half out of five, as of right now I'll give it a four out of five.



HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER (CBS)
I like this show, but I'm ready to see it come to an end. You can only stretch it so far and if they go past this season it will be like beating a dead horse. Some shows just aren't meant to last forever and that's ok. It's certainly better than "jumping the shark". I like the premiere and the series itself is at a three and a half out of five.

More shows premiere next week and if I haven't died from sitting on the couch watching so much TV, I'll review the other fifteen shows that I have interest in.

No comments:

Post a Comment