Thursday, March 25, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: THE BOUNTY HUNTER




When Jennifer Aniston first started making movies I thought she would end up being a huge star, and to a point, she kinda did. But I'm not talking about getting paid big bucks for each film you do, I'm talking about becoming a movie star, going to the Golden Globes and Oscars type star. But all she has given us is mind numbing romantic comedies after another. Does she make good movie for each film she does? Yes. Is she wasting her career with these type films? I believe so. I think she has the talent to give some powerful performances, I just have yet to see it.

Then we have Gerard Butler whose career has really taken off since he portrayed King Leonidas in 300. After watching that, I thought he wouldn't necessarily be a movie star like I thought Aniston would be, but I thought maybe he could be a pretty big action star. But since then he has been mainly romantic comedies and a few below average action flicks.

The two of them have come together for The Bounty Hunter, another romantic comedy with a little action sprinkled in for the guys. In the film, Aniston and Butler plays ex-spouses who are both having closure issues. When Butler's character Milo gets fired from the police department, he becomes a bounty hunter to try and pay off a secret gambling debt he owes. Meanwhile, Aniston's character Nichole has become a hot shot reporter who has recently been arrested for hitting a police horse with her car. When she fails to show up for court due to following a lead, Milo is given the task of bringing her in. While trying to get her turned in, they discover the story she is tracking is more than what it seems and both of their lives become in danger.

Unfortunately, there was not one moment of this film I enjoyed. There are only so many ways to do a romantic comedy and I think that everyone has come to accept that they are predictable. But it is still possible to make a good, predictable romantic comedy. There was so much missing from this film. The first was humor. I personally didn't find the trailer funny, but those who did pretty much saw all the "funny" scenes in the trailer.

A big thing for me when I go see a romantic comedy is charm. You have have to be able to care about the characters and be able to get attached to them for two hours. There was no charm to any of the characters in this film. In the end I was left careless to whether they got back as a couple, if they got out of the danger they were in, or if Aniston went to jail or not. I believe that is the main problem with this film because I could not wait for the credits to role.

About midway through the film, after I was positive I hated the film, I started trying to look at it from a woman's perspective to see if maybe I could see if there was anything in it they would enjoy. But after looking around at about twenty other people in the theatre, mostly women, it didn't seem like any of them were enjoying it either, and then I realized that no one else was even laughing.

The Bounty Hunter goes to show that even if you have big names in a film, that without a good writer and director it all means nothing. The Bounty Hunter to me is the worst film I have seen so far in 2010. I give it a one out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment